Rayon is a fabric made from wood pulp that is more comfortable and breathable than cotton. It also has a higher color retention than cotton, so it will not fade as quickly. Rayon is a great fabric for summer. It is a breathable, comfortable and versatile fabric that has been around for centuries. Rayon is known for its great colors and sharpness.
Rayon has been around for centuries, but it was not until the early 1900s that it became popular in the fashion industry. Rayon's popularity grew during the 1920s when women wanted to find fabrics that were more comfortable than cotton, which was difficult to clean because of its natural absorbency and stiffness.
Here is a breakdown of some advantages and disadvantages of rayon dresses versus cotton dresses.
- Rayon is more absorbent than cotton which allows for a sharpness in dyes and longer lasting dyes to ensure the longevity of clothing.
- Rayon is a non-insulating fabric so it can be used in humid climates since the fabric doesn’t hold heat.
- Rayon is more widely used in Fashion due to its affordability in comparison to Cotton.
- While it has properties of natural fibers, Rayon at the end of the day is a semi-synthetic material and not all natural.
- The natural alternative to Rayon is Lyocell. Needs to be hand-washed or dry cleaned to ensure fastness of colors.
- Natural fabric and plant based.
- Cotton can be blended with other fabric to achieve unique characteristics such as jersey or spandex.
- Cotton has much stronger fibers so they hold up much better when the fabric gets wet.
- Machine wash-able for the most part ( double check on garments was instructions)
- More expensive than Rayon
- Colors don’t fasten as strong as Rayon which is more suited for tie-dye dresses
Rayon is the material of choice for tie dye dresses because of its ability to take on sharp colors and retain them for a long time. It also has the advantage of being breathable, which means you will stay cool in the summer heat. At Advance Apparels, we tie dye a majority of our dresses on Rayon fabric due to the flexibility our artisans have to create unique and eye-catching dresses that pop out whether you’re at the beach or your next vacation. Some of the beautiful tie-dyes and intricate designs shown below simply wouldn’t be possible on Cotton.
Hydra Tie Dye Beach Dress
This timeless Advance Apparels umbrella dress silhouette features a flowy body that provides a seamless drape for all sizes up to 1X. This dress is versatile enough to be worn both as a beach dress and house dress. Each piece is individually dyed by skilled artisans in Jaipur, India.
- One Size Fits Most
- Made-in-India Available in 6 colors
- 100% Rayon Cap Sleeve
This Advance Apparels 52 inch tie dye umbrella dress is perfect for any occasion. Our lightweight fabric makes this the perfect house dress, or you can wear it out as-is or by pairing it with leggings. The flowy One Size Fits most nature of this dress makes it extremely comfortable, and a staple for your casual wardrobe.
- Available in six beautiful tie-dyes that are sure to bring positive energy and good vibrations to your day.
- 100% Rayon Made-in-India
- One Size Fits
- Most Available in 6 Colors
There are concerns over the environmental impact of Rayon but the same can be said about Cotton. While Cotton is natural, and Rayon is semi-synthetic; both fabrics require a lot of water consumption during their respective weaving and manufacturing process. That’s why more environmentally friendly alternatives like GOTS Cotton ( Global Organic Textile Standard ) and Lyocell (commonly known as Tencel) have gained popularity over the past few years.
At Advance Apparels, we are continually growing our offerings of environmentally friendly products by adding products with Tencel and GOTS cotton fabrics. We will continue to grow our sustainable clothing line while reducing our environmental impact on our other products by producing in small batches, limiting waste, and incorporating eco-friendly and recyclable packaging. Advance Apparels is a women’s slow fashion brand specializing in traditional tie-dye and batik design techniques which are popular in Jaipur, India. Having been around since 2001, Advance Apparels has continued to bring high quality products, outstanding customer service, and design innovation to its customers.